Site Reliability Engineering, IT Ops (UK Remote)
People rarely can say that they work at a job they truly love—unless, of course, they work at Field Effect. We believe in investing in the personal and professional success of our employees. We want our teammates to feel great about the work that they do and about themselves when they are with us. That is our culture.
We have an all-star team with industry leading cyber security knowledge and analytical thinking that is engaged, motivated, genuinely curious, and has the willingness to be as diligent as possible. Field Effect is a rapidly growing company with an increasingly distributed global workforce that provides world-class managed cyber security solutions for businesses of all sizes. The company was founded by the brightest talents in cyber security, with a mission to remove the complexity of securing endpoints and networks by delivering monitoring and threat protection services that are easy to use and provide actionable insights.
What You’ll Do
Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) at Field Effect combines software development with systems engineering to build secure, scalable, and reliable systems. Our SREs ensure that systems are fault-tolerant and highly available, and that processes are repeatable through automation. SREs keep a close eye on performance and are responsible for the operational health and support of production systems. At Field Effect, we operate an efficient and robust environment, and there is always more to do as we continue to grow and expand our offerings.
Reporting to the Head of IT Operations, you can expect to join a team of curious, open, collaborative, and supportive SREs. The team is multi-disciplinary, coming from a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. As a member of our team, you will be encouraged to think creatively and will be supported in challenging the status quo. As a member of the IT Operations team, you will:
- Develop automation for services and infrastructure as code.
- Implement effective monitoring and alerting capabilities.
- Work with a variety of teams to plan, design, and deploy systems and services.
- Push the boundaries of CI/CD to deliver automated workflows.
- Optimize system health and performance.
- Identify and transition services from on-prem to cloud-native.
- Diagnose and troubleshoot client deployments.
- Administer and support a large fleet of virtual and physical servers.
- May be asked to participate in the on-call rotation (8am – 8pm, not 24/7)
Skills & experience we look for
- Experience with systems administration and/or software development
- Experience with networking, infrastructure, distributed systems, storage, and/or cloud
- Experience with one or more of: Python, Perl, Ruby, Rust, and/or Go
- Experience with Unix/Linux operating systems, namely: internals, administration, security, and/or networking
- Experience with the installation, configuration, and maintenance of servers and services
- Experience analyzing and troubleshooting systems
- Knowledge of network, host, and application security
Our Tech Stack
Our tech stack comprises a mix of commercial and open-source technologies. Currently, the team is using the following day-to-day: Ansible, VMWare, Ubuntu, Gitlab, collectd, Azure / AWS / GCP, Docker, Nginx, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, ELK, Grafana, RabbitMQ, and Python. We actively welcome applicants with experience in these and related technologies.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or a related technical field.
- Practical experience in computing, distributed systems, storage, and/or networking
- Experience with architecture and design of enterprise networks
- Ability to debug and optimize code and to automate routine tasks
- A systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with effective communications skills and self-motivation
- Experience with configuration management and infrastructure-as-code tooling
- Experience with metrics collection, monitoring, and alerting
What You’ll Get By Joining Our Team
- Your brilliance will get a runway
- You will collaborate with the greatest minds in the field
- You will help shape the future of cybersecurity
- A workplace of opportunity
- Extensive Benefits such as Generous Paid Vacation
- Hybrid work setting
If this sounds exciting, we would love to hear from you! Please note that only the candidate(s) selected for the next phase of the hiring process will be contacted directly.
Field Effect is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are given consideration regardless of race, religion, colour, gender, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, citizenship status, disability, veteran status, or any other protected class as provided in applicable employment laws. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us.
Field Effect has earned their outstanding reputation through innovation, ingenuity and drive to change the cyber security industry. As a result, they have been recognized with the Deloitte 2021 Technology Fast 50 and Technology Fast 500 awards . Their award-winning team is known for its knowledge and industry leadership. In addition, they have been named one of the local top employers for three years in a row. This team is committed to helping businesses simplify and improve their cyber security by empowering their employees to collaborate, grow and thrive in their fields.