Senior Software Developer (Data Analytics)
People rarely can say that they work at a job they truly love—unless, of course, they work at Field Effect. We believe in investing in the personal and professional success of our employees. We want our teammates to feel great about the work that they do and about themselves when they are with us. That is our culture.
We have an all-star team with industry-leading cyber security knowledge and analytical thinking that is engaged, motivated, genuinely curious, and has the willingness to be as diligent as possible. Field Effect is a rapidly growing company with an increasingly distributed global workforce that provides world-class managed cyber security solutions for businesses of all sizes. The company was founded by the brightest talents in cyber security, with a mission to remove the complexity of securing endpoints and networks by delivering monitoring and threat protection services that are easy to use and provide actionable insights.
We’re proud to share that we’ve recently been named one of Ottawa’s top employers, and achieved an eNPS score of 84!
What You’ll Do
As a Cyber Security Analyst (Data and Analytics Engineering) at Field Effect, you will combine data analysis, modelling, and programming to collect, analyze, and interpret data sets. The team codifies detections and automates the assessment of observables in a client’s environment to raise potential events relevant to cyber security. These insights are leveraged to scale the delivery of the Covalence Managed Detection and Response (MDR) service, which provides clients an advanced cyber security protection service. This automation allows our team of Cyber Security Analysts to focus on advanced threat hunting, and a rapid response to priority issues.
Reporting to the Head of Operational Development, you will join a team of experienced, curious, collaborative, and supportive developers. The team is multi-disciplinary, coming from a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. As a member of our team, you will be encouraged to think creatively and will be supported in challenging the status quo. You will also:
- Develop analytics and data models to identify and report relevant cyber security events
- Review and assess the effectiveness of analytics
- Work with a variety of teams, such as platform developers and analysts, to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the service
- Push the boundaries of CI/CD to deliver automated workflows
Experience & skills we look for:
- Strong analytical thinking, and the ability to spot patterns, trends, and reason through problems
- Professional software development experience with large projects (Programming, testing, CI/CD) is required
- Knowledge of network, host, cloud, and application security
- Knowledge of database design
- Experience with statistical analysis and working with large data sets
- Understanding or experience with the following technologies:
- Programming languages: Python
- Virtualization and container technologies (ex. VMware, Docker, Kubernetes)
- SQL and NoSQL databases such as MySQL, MongoDB, PostgreSQL
- Linux operating system, including minor shell scripting
- Git, GitLab
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or a related technical field
- Practical experience in computing, distributed systems, storage, and/or networking
- Knowledge of machine learning techniques and concepts
- Experience with data visualization and presentation
- Ability to debug and optimize code and write clean, testable logic
- A systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with effective communications skills and self-motivation
- Experience with configuration management and infrastructure-as-code tooling
- Understanding of the modern Internet, protocols, cyber threats, and malware
Our Tech Stack
Our tech stack comprises a mix of commercial and open-source technologies. Currently, the team is using the following day-to-day: Python, Ubuntu, Gitlab, Docker, Nginx, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, ELK, Grafana, RabbitMQ, NLTK, numpy, pandas. We actively welcome applicants with experience in these and related technologies.
What You’ll Get By Joining Our Team
- Your brilliance will get a runway
- You will collaborate with the greatest minds in the field
- You will help shape the future of cybersecurity
- A workplace of opportunity
- Extensive Benefits such as Generous Paid Vacation
- We work from a hybrid environment but open to applicants residing in Canada that prefer remote work
If this sounds exciting, we would love to hear from you! Please submit your resume directly to [email protected] Please note that only the candidate(s) selected for the next phase of the hiring process will be contacted directly.
Field Effect is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are given consideration regardless of race, religion, colour, gender, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, citizenship status, disability, veteran status, or any other protected class as provided in applicable employment laws. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us.
Field Effect has earned their outstanding reputation through innovation, ingenuity and drive to change the cyber security industry. As a result, they have been recognized with the Deloitte 2021 Technology Fast 50 and Technology Fast 500 awards . Their award-winning team is known for its knowledge and industry leadership. In addition, they have been named one of the top employers in Ottawa, by Invest Ottawa, for three years in a row. This team is committed to helping businesses simplify and improve their cyber security by empowering their employees to collaborate, grow and thrive in their fields.